Walleye Fishing in CT

Ice Fishing information on where, when, how to, and what with.

Moderators: bachilds, metalfish, Artificial All The Way, spikehorn, bigoutdoors

Walleye Fishing in CT

Postby 99ranger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:33 am

Walleye Fishing in Connecticut

Walleye Fishing Lakes In Connecticut

For walleye in CT, try your luck at Candlewood Lake, Gardner Lake, Rogers Lake, Lake Saltonstall, Saugatuck Reservoir and Squantz Pond. The Connecticut state record walleye was caught out of Candlewood Lake

Walleye
Stizostedion vitreum

The walleye prefers moderately deep lakes with gravel, rock or sandy bottoms. It is found primarily in cold water lakes but has proven to survive in some warmer water impoundments. It is prized for its great tasting white, flaky flesh.

Connecticut walleye spawn in spring and when they have the option will choose to migrate from the lake up into feeder streams to spawn. If this option is not available they seek out shallow bars or shoals with clean bottom surfaces near deep water.

This toothy fish will eat virtually anything it can catch and get in its mouth. They prefer small fish and will eat crustaceans, worms and insects. They tend to be somewhat wary and prefer the safety of deeper darker water. Try fishing for walleye from sundown to midnight, particularly during the heat of summer.

Fish for Connecticut walleye with live bait, crankbaits, spoons, small spinner baits as well as plastic worms and grubs.

How To Fish For Walleye

SPRING
Top Baits: Small crankbaits, small jigs and plastic worms.
Fish shallow to moderate depths as the walleye move into the shallows to spawn. Gravel ledges, points and submerged humps in protected areas are prime holding areas.

SUMMER
Top Baits: Crankbaits, Jigs and plastic worms.
Fish shallow in the mornings and evenings and move deeper as the sun rises. Use lures that mimic crawfish as this is a favorite food of the walleye. Follow points and rocky or gravel structure deeper until you establish the proper depth.

FALL
Top Baits: Jigs, crankbaits and spoons.
Fish shallow to moderate depths in the mornings and evenings. As the sun rises move deeper toward outside structure and use small spoons or jigs.

WINTER
Top Baits: Jigs, spoons and plastic worms.
Try moderately shallow depths in the mornings then move deeper as the sun rises. Walleyes are less active in cold water, so move your bait in a slow, easy to catch manner and fish deep structure.
99ranger
6 point

Postby jlmos » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Thanks for the info there 99Ranger... Thumbs up

If you have any questions on fishing for walleyes, feel free to ask.

I am one of a few members here that primarily fishes for walleye, I mostly go to Lake Saltonstall & the Saugatuck Resivoir, but I've fished the crap out of Rogers Lake & Gardner Lake for them.

I personally never got one from Rogers' but they have stopped stocking that lake many years ago. Now Gardner Lake is a different story, only problem there is the "ice guys" that go there have really cleaned them out pretty good.

I am not trying to "bad mouth" any ice fishing guys here so let's not even get that nonsense going shall we. BS

John.
"Well gee Beaver, if you wait until you're 21 to start smoking and find out you don't like it; look at all the time you wasted."~ Larry Mondello

"6:00 AM, and already the boy ain't right." ~ Hank Hill
jlmos
8 point

Postby 99ranger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:55 pm

yea, im doing a lot of ice fishing now...i just wanted to help fellow fisherman with some basic walleye info...as i was looking more for winter tricks, i stumbled along this...every little edge counts...good luck to you all
99ranger
6 point

Postby metalfish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks for the info. I am going to try for eyes this year. I will get there before sundown to get setup. If you want to go PM me. I am always up to meeting new people to hang out and go fishing with. Summer time JLMOS we are hitting the res man. Thumbs up
ImageImageNo matter what I am faced with I fish my ass off. I always try. I never give up. I thought I only loved ice . WRONG. I LOVE FISHING ALL TOGETHER.
I AM ADDICTED
metalfish
14 point

Postby 99ranger » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 am

yea this weekend me and justin (fishon) are going to quaddick or some where for pike...and summer time is stiper fishing...we'll have to meet up some time and do some good fishing...just let me know when and where.
99ranger
6 point

Postby fishon » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:54 pm

metal have you ever tried for pike yet?....this weekend will be the first for me. If you want to join let us know.
fishon
12 point

Postby 99ranger » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:15 pm

here is some helpful info i found if anyone also wants to do some pike fishing

http://www.ehow.com/how_4515582_ice-fis ... n=yssp_art
99ranger
6 point

Postby fishon » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:59 pm

they bite me i bite them back :shock:
fishon
12 point

Postby metalfish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:01 am

Never have. I got one just messing around. A little guy. But its was my first pike.
ImageImageNo matter what I am faced with I fish my ass off. I always try. I never give up. I thought I only loved ice . WRONG. I LOVE FISHING ALL TOGETHER.
I AM ADDICTED
metalfish
14 point

Postby Artificial All The Way » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:51 am

I never caught a eye. Tried when they first stocked them in Squatz at night but no go. They are good eating from what I hear.
Artificial All The Way
Go UL

Postby AllInCamo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:31 pm

i caught a walleye once in lake delta Rome new york about 18 inches trolling with a orange flatfish this was about 30 FREAKIN YEARS AGO :evil:
AllInCamo
Foul Hook!

Postby fishon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:33 pm

i hear there very good eating tooo
fishon
12 point

Return to Ice Fishing Discussion